Thursday, December 18, 2008

Some days are better than others...

One thing to keep in mind in persons with Autism, one moment you can be having the best day ever and something sets them off (as easily as a sibling picking up a toy that belongs to the autistic). They can have prominent explosive behaviors or irrational resolutions to simple problems.

I had the opportunity to observe a little girl with Autism and she was rude, self-serving and somewhat biligerant. I found it interesting in the reactions of others in her environment. She kept saying "go away, I didn't ask for your help, stop talking to me, don't help me." So I approached the behavior by squatting down at her level and explaining quietly that it hurts other's feelings when she talks like that. I waited until she took her fingers out of her ears and said "may I make a suggestion?" She yelled, "Don't help me, I don't need you, I don't need help." So, I repeated myself and asked her again "may I make a suggestion?" She looked bewildered and was a little reluctant but as she pulled her fingers out of her ears she replied, "yes."

I truly believe it is in the delivery in how things are presented, if we say it in a way that we are asking their opinion (a little reverse psychology) to get them to involve us in their world, we can achieve much. If we are getting easily angered in how they respond to our helping them we will not see the progression of achievement possible.

In our dealings with our kids, typical and with Autism, we find we are very repetitious, consistant and very creative. For example, Laura turned 7 today and received a birthday package in the mail from one set of grandparents. She opened it with delight as she gazed upon a "learning laptop." I smiled! What she doesn't realize is that it concretely reinforces everything she is learning in our homeschool. She sees it as a LAPTOP! An electronic device for pleasure. So, to make her see it as a toy and not a learning instrument, I read all the things that she can do on it and said after each one, "Wow, you're going to be so good at this. I think you will beat the computer!" She gave me one of those "I know" looks and played hard on it doing all the math problems for the next 2 hours. What she doesn't know...definately won't hurt her!

2 comments:

Trish said...

Just found you through Facebook Networked Blogs - hi!

I love your example of how to interact with the little girl; people need to know what to do as much as they need to be "aware". And your daughter beating the computer in math games is so great - totally win/win situation!

Merry Christmas!

Mamabirdof5 said...

Hi Trish! Sorry it took me so long to respond, blogging was a way for me to write down my stories but I didn't know how really how it worked. I continued writing my stories in FB and realized I missed an opportunity by not posting them here. Blessings to you!!!