Friday, February 04, 2005

Literally Speaking

One thing interesting about autism is that those who have it think literally. So, the use of slang, colloquialisms, expressions is not something they understand. I find it funny when I accidentally use them and the look on his face is priceless. I said "Don't stick your foot in your mouth!" and he proceeded to touch his mouth while looking at his feet and said "What? My foot is not in my mouth!"

About 3 years ago, after he finally learned the word "help" he continually used it everywhere we went. We thought is would be a good time to teach him about the boy who cried wolf and the laughter didn't stop because he started crying and yelled out "Wolf, wolf, wolf!" We have many more examples of this... but then you'd be reading a book.

No comments: