Thursday, February 03, 2005

The Miracle of Melatonin

We normally give Jeremiah a melatonin at 7 pm every night for the past 4 years, however, every so often he needs 1 during the day to help his mind get focused and his aggression a little subdued. Jeremiah woke up this morning feeling very frustrated, angry and started hitting and bopping Thomas and Laura on the head for no apparent reason. So, when I approached him and we discussed his behavior he said "I can't make it stop. I can't control my anger. Help me mom! I don't know why I'm doing it!" That's when I gave him a melatonin. Praise the Lord he can express his feelings and emotions. It was just 4 years ago that he was non-verbal, only screamed or grunted. His display of emotions consisted of self-injurious, violent behaviors, repetitive actions, echolalia or delayed echolalia and constant zoning and rocking. He still is not "always" compliant or expressive (but whose child really is...). God's still working on us and He has a plan!

No comments: