Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Hushbrowns

Every third Wednesday of the month I teach a craft at a local MOM's group. We always arrive earlier than the other ladies so today I went to McDonald's drive-thru to get some hashbrowns for the kids. When we arrived Jeremiah had eaten his but Thomas and Laura were still finishing up.

One of the caretakers said "Jeremiah, what did you eat?" He muddered "hushbrowns." "You mean hashbrowns?" "No! Hushbrowns!" he repeated. I then explained to Jeremiah that they are called hashbrowns. He replied with a simple, "Oh." Then the caretaker asked, "Jeremiah, do you know where hashbrowns come from?" In a "duh" type of look he gestured "From McDonald's!" The caretaker and I tried to contain ourselves, then he asked, "I know you bought them at McDonald's, but do you know how we get hashbrowns?" Again, as if he asked a dumb question twice, he replies aggitated "McDonald's!"

So, the man thought he'd go at it from a different angle. "Jeremiah, did you know that hashbrowns come from potatoes?" "No they don't!... Mommy buys them at McDonald's!" While I was trying not to laugh I told him, "Hashbrowns really do come from potatoes." In disbelief, but because mommy said so, he again mudders "Oh." and went off to play. In short, even when you think hashbrowns come from McDonald's, what mommy says, goes!

No comments: