Thursday, March 17, 2005

I do believe................HE HIT IT!

During the baseball practice, all the kids stood in line to bat at a pitch. (not tee-ball, a pitch!) I was very apprehensive and kind of afraid he would duck, throw the bat, or drop the bat, but now was the deciding factor.....would he get a hit?  Jeremiah took the plate and the coach asked the other kids to stand farther away.  I guess he anticipated more than I.  The coach said "Jeremiah, get ready."  All of a sudden, it was like it came natural, his stance was perfect and he held the bat with a vengeance.  The coach pitched......
                                             Smack!
                                                         Smack!
                                                                      Smack!
I couldn't believe my eyes!!  He was pitched about 10 pitches and only missed 1 or 2.  I wanted to jump up and down and yet my excitement was unnervingly contained.  For I knew how great of an accomplishment this was, yet others just wouldn't understand.  He "rocked" last night.  Unlike the constant rocking he used to do when he was young.  Just 4 years ago he was non-verbal, only grunting, screaming, yelling, crying.  Self-injurious behavior, as well as, injury to others, especially myself.  This is a far cry from where we started.  Yes, this is a journey WE are taking together.  If possible, let the little things in life bring you such joy, for there is JOY in the journey.  Be thankful in everything, especially, your children!

No comments: